Skip to main content

2007 - Play Offs at the First Attempt

In their first season in Division 1 the Eagles managed to reach the play offs, despite the bookmakers having them as candidates for relegation.

Previous teams that had been promoted from Division 2 had struggled in the higher division and had invariably been relegated the following season or soon thereafter. Nearly half the teams in Division One were operating with full-time squads. An added incentive was yet another attempt by the Rugby Football League to restructure the competition.

Expanded Super League

It had been announced at the back end of the 2006 Season that from the 2009 season the Super League would be expanded from its current 12 teams to 14. There was a growing fear that this would see the end of promotion and relegation with the National Leagues, effectively making Super League a closed shop. This seemed to be the preferred option of the larger clubs in that division, denying those teams not selected to the top league any further chance of progressing, letting them wither on the vine, particularly those who were not able to fund full-time squads.


Before they had started resigning and recruiting players for their first Division One campaign, the club were rocked by the sudden decision of Gary Wilkinson to resign as head coach in mid-October 2006, citing personal reasons.

The Eagles retained the bulk of their promotion squad, but a number moved on to other clubs. Dean Andrews signed for Doncaster whilst Liam Brentley and Sean Dickinson returned to their old club, Dudley Hill. Alex Clemie joined Batley, Martin Ostler went to Barrow, whilst Joe Chambers. Paul Fletcher, Andy Hay, Craig Poucher, Jimmy Walker, and captain Andy Smith all retired. Alasdair McClarron returned to Rugby Union, as did Rob Worrincy, who joined Doncaster Knights, returning to the Eagles during the 2007 season. Waisale Sovatabua followed the same route but returned to the club in a coaching and mentoring capacity to assist the development of the newly reformed Senior Academy side.

Mark Aston and his staff set about replacing those that had left the club, focusing on youth and experience, in addition to a couple of players who had turned out for the club in earlier seasons. These were:

  • Dominic Brambani (Halifax)
  • John Crawford (Australia)
  • Brad Hepi (Doncaster)
  • Neil Law (York)
  • Richard Newlove (Doncaster)
  • Craig Cook (Doncaster)
  • Grant Edwards (Castleford)
  • Ryan Hepworth (Royal Marines)
  • Danny Mills (Doncaster)
  • Nick Turnbull
  • Ged Corcoran (Oldham)
  • Adam Hayes (Halifax)
  • Zac Hill (Australia)
  • James Morrow (Sheffield Hallam)
  • Yusuf Sozi (Doncaster)

A couple of these players signed as the season developed. Yusuf Sozi had signed prior to the end of the 2006 season but broke his leg playing for Doncaster. His slow recovery prevented him appearing in 2006.

Mark Aston took over the Head Coach role and brought in Dale Laughton and Darren “Rocky” Turner. As the club had decided to reform their Academy, they recruited former captain Chris Robinson to run the operation. The vacant captaincy was taken over by Jack Howieson, who had learnt a great deal under Andy Smith’s leadership with the vice-captaincy being awarded to Brendon Lindsay.

The standard is a step up. The games are going to be a lot quicker. It will be enjoyable. It will be a good test for us
Brendon Lindsay, December 2006

Pre-Season Preparations

The Eagles had planned only one friendly, as the main focus was to build up the team’s match fitness skills, strength, and stamina through concentrated training programmes, avoiding the pre-season curse of a rash of injuries building up if they had played in a series of friendlies.

The Eagles only pre-season friendly took place on 27th December 2006 at Doncaster Lakers. It was their first game to be played at the new Keepmoat Stadium which they shared with their town’s football club. The game attracted the biggest ever crowd, 5,264, for a Lakers-Eagles encounter. Doncaster had been hoping to put on a good show in a bid to tempt people to return to follow them in their 2007 campaign. But they trailed throughout against a well-drilled Eagles outfit.

Richard Newlove opened the scoring for the visitors after two minutes when he forced his way over from close range following some good handling. Jonny Woodcock converted to make it 6-0. Doncaster responded with an unconverted try. Eagles continued to look the better organised side and Woodcock jinked his way into the clear inside the Lakers half, sending supporting Dale Holdstock over for a 28th minute try. He again converted to make it 12-4.

After the interval several Doncaster players went close to scoring a try during a sustained spell of pressure. Eagles defended superbly to deny Lakers that crucial score and then effectively made sure of victory when Newlove went in for his second try in the corner after Caldon Bravo palmed down a kick wide out on the left. In the dying minutes, Doncaster finally got their second converted try, but it was not enough as Sheffield had spoiled the Lakers big day 16-10 and secured the South Yorkshire Cup for the first time since 2001.

We've come to Doncaster on a big occasion for them and put a damper on their party. We've got to be pleased with our performance because we have not done any work as a team prior to today's game
Mark Aston, December 2006

Northern Rail Cup and Challenge Cup

Sheffield had been drawn at the group stage of the NRC tournament with Castleford, Doncaster, and Featherstone. Under the new scoring system that was introduced, the winners of a game were awarded 3 points. If the result was a draw both sides were awarded 2 points. To encourage more competitive play in games, if a team lost by 12 or less in a game, they would be awarded 1 bonus point. 

Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers 11/02/2007

The Eagles cup campaign kicked off in February with a visit to Division 2 promotion favourites, Featherstone Rovers. With nine senior players out the Eagles’ 17 had an ‘experimental’ look and were no match for a Featherstone team that clearly benefited from having played five pre-season friendlies. Sheffield also didn’t help themselves, particularly in the first half, when they barely completed ten sets of six tackles. The defence was exposed as Featherstone piled on the pressure as the Eagles struggled for possession and then too often gave the ball away. There were patches of promise but the two harsh sin binnings of Ryan Hepworth and John Crawford, both for holding down, resulted in the visitors playing for 20 minutes with 12 men and being punished for it.

Featherstone were 22 points ahead, when Hepworth scored on 24 minutes, but the home side soon increased their lead with another try. Jon Presley, on his return to Featherstone, nipped over from first receiver for a try with Brambani adding the goal. Just before the interval Featherstone added a penalty to their tally to go in 28-10 in front. After the break, further tries for the home side quickly increased the lead to 38 points with 20 minutes to go. The Eagles hit back with a solo power burst by Neil Law that saw him brush aside tacklers to set up a try for Crawford, with Brambani adding the extras. Paul Pickering’s long pass gave Caldon Bravo an easy run–in try near the corner flag Brambani producing a good kick for the two points. However, Rovers had the final say with a another try bringing up the 50 points with six minutes to go. Sheffield had lost their first game,22-54.

Sheffield’s first home tie of the competition was against full timers Doncaster Lakers five days later. Doncaster took the lead after a minute with a penalty in front of the posts for interface at the play-the-ball, the two points that would finally divide the sides. The Eagles looked to have scored minutes later, but it was ruled out. The Lakers extended their lead on 26 minutes with a a converted try. Sheffield finally hit back four minutes later when Brambani’s long high kick to the left was fumbled by the Lakers and collected by Gavin Brown, whose pass sent in Grant Farrow for the try. Brambani added the goal from the touchline and with the help of a bounce off the post. At the interval Doncaster led 8-6 in a game that had seen13 penalties in the first 40 minutes and was to record 24 in the full 80 minutes. 

As the second half developed Sheffield showed they were ready to swoop. On 57 minutes a kick by Brambani was charged down but rebounded to the ex Halifax scrum half who sent centre Neil Law in for the try. Brambani added the two points, and the Eagles were 12-8 ahead. The home side held out but, on 67 minutes Doncaster scored a further try, followed by another in the final ten minutes. The Lakers appeared to have victory in the bag. But with less than six minutes to go, Brambani sent Jon Presley away for a try, which the scrumhalf converted. Only two more points were required for the Eagles to draw, but despite the pressure, Doncaster held out to win 20-18. It wasn't a pretty game but one packed with strong forward play and gritty defence with most of the points coming in the final 15 minutes, with the result being in doubt until the hooter. The Lakers took 3 points from the game and, due to closeness of the result, the Eagles were awarded their first ever bonus point.

The next challenge was against one of the top side’s in Division One, full-timers Castleford Tigers. Castleford opened the scoring on five minutes, soon to be followed by the second. It looked like the injury hit Eagles were in for a hard afternoon but strong tackling, darting runs out of defence by fullback Jonny Woodcock and kicks from scrum-half Dominic Brambani relieved the pressure. That determination restricted Castleford to a try in the final 20 minutes of the half to give Tigers a 16-0 lead at the break. Castleford continued to dominate possession after the restart. A couple of penalties added to the pressure before a they scored a further try for a 28-0 lead with 20 minutes left. Then centre Richard Newlove, who had been having a strong game in defence, made an interception and started a spell of Eagles pressure. Battling prop Tom Buckenham was held on the line before hooker Craig Cook got the ball to Brambani, whose high kick to the right was caught by a soaring Greg Hurst who then raced in for the try. Brambani added the goal. Further tries gave the home side a 38-6 lead going into the final minute, but the Eagles had the final say. Buckenham was held on the line as the hooter sounded but second rower Ged Corcoran blasted across the line and touched down through a mass of Castleford tacklers. Brambani added the goal.

That’s the level we are going to have to hit this year. Our attitude in defence in the second half was great. A lot of teams would have collapsed and given in, but we dug in and worked really hard and that’s fantastic by the boys
Mark Aston, Sheffield Star

The first game in March was the return fixture against Doncaster Lakers and the Eagles first victory in the competition. The teams were faced with constant driving rain and swirling winds, but the Eagles coped far better with the conditions. They were better organised than Doncaster, defended strongly and when the chances came showed a cutting edge that the Lakers lacked. Sheffield opened the scoring with a penalty kicked by fullback Jonny Woodcock after three minutes. The Eagles defended their line well before showing how to take a chance on 19 minutes, with stand-off Gavin Brown kicking into the in-goal area and following up, but just being edged out of the touchdown by the charging Neil Law. Woodcock added the goal. Doncaster responded with a converted try four minutes later. The next score was to be crucial when Paul Newlove powered onto a Brown pass to claim the try. Woodcock coolly added the two points. At half-time the Eagles led 14-6. Woodcock extended the Eagles lead with a penalty on 46 minutes. The Lakers slipped further behind on 53 minutes when substitute forward Adam Hayes somehow squeezed in for a try near the corner on the Doncaster right for a 14-point lead. A late effort from Doncaster narrowed the gap, but Sheffield ended up with the 3 points, 20-12.

Sheffield Eagles v Leigh Miners Rangers 11/03/2007

The Third round of the Challenge Cup saw an away trip to Leigh, against amateurs Leigh Miner Rangers. The Eagles had gone into the lead after just over a minutes’ play when loose forward Adam Hayes stormed on to Gavin Brown’s pass for a try. Brown then provided the final pass after a cross-field move three minutes later for Neil Law to force his way over. With Jonny Woodcock kicking both goals the Eagles were 12-0 up and seemingly in for an easy afternoon. Brendon Lindsay was then sin binned and, in the run, up to half-time Leigh took the lead with two converted tries. 18-12 behind it looked like the Sheffield were facing another Thornhill Trojans moment.

But it really was to be a game of two halves as a very different Eagles side came out after the break. On 46 minutes the scores were level after Hayes spotted a gap and scored under the posts after a solo run from acting half-back from 20 metres out, Woodcock again kicking the goal. The fullback turned try scorer when he took Lindsay's pass and weaved his way across the try line and then added the goal. The gap in class widened as Lindsay took control, props Tom Buckenham and Mitch Stringer threw their weight about and Gavin Brown kept up the pressure after switching to hooker. Any hopes Leigh had died as Lindsay pulled off a try-saving tackle, then, minutes later. provided the pass for Law to score his second try. In the final 20 minutes substitute Caldon Bravo powered over the line, centre Richard Newlove left the Leigh defenders standing with a great break and try before winger Greg Hurst forced his way over near the corner flag. Sheffield progressed into the fourth round, 46-18, with Woodcock finishing with 7 from 8 goals.

The last two matches of the NRC Group stage were return home ties against Castleford and Featherstone. In front of a crowd of 1,897 the Castleford Tigersstarted off like a whirlwind and were 16-0 ahead on 11 minutes, the game was effectively over. Brendon Lindsay was showing signs of wrestling back some control for Eagles and a reward came when stand-off Lindsay's chip kick bounced back into his hands from a Castleford player, and he had an easy run in under the posts. Jonny Woodcock added the goal. But a further Castleford try ensured that they maintained a grip on the game, 22-6 at the break. Castleford extended their lead with another try, but the Eagles were still battling to reduce the deficit. Further tries from Castleford as the half progressed, ensured the visitors went away with the points, 44-6.

Featherstone Rovers were the last opponents in the group stage and the Eagles were looking for revenge for their opening day defeat. Except for a spell soon after the kick-off the Rovers were never really in the game, and they weren't helped by having three players spending time in the sin bin. The Eagles had their own complaints about the referee, who in the second half awarded 10 penalties to Featherstone to two for Sheffield.

Sheffield produced some good attacking moves and had the crowd on their feet - particularly in a 14-minute, three-try spell in the first half. But the win was built on some strong and determined defence as Rovers desperately tried to break back into the game. Tommy Trayler had a big game, heading the tackle count. Mitch Stringer, Dale Holdstock and Ged Corcoran also stood up well. Fullback Jonny Woodcock had another good game. He took his two tries well, kicked well and was strong in defence. Hooker Paul Pickering had a good first half, but the playmakers Brendon Lindsay, Dominic Brambani and Gavin Brown earned their win bonus.

First half tries from Richard Newlove, Damien Reid, and Lindsay and two penalties from Woodcock had the home side 20-0 ahead at the interval. In the second half Holdstock set up the first of Woodcock's two tries with a great break before passing inside to the fullback to go in under the posts. Woodcock's second came within minutes when he dived over from acting half-back. Kicking both goals, he took his points tally to 20 points. Featherstone battled on and got some consolation with two tries in the final ten minutes but all to no avail as the Eagles were victors, 32-8.

Although the Eagles did not qualify for the knockout stage after early setbacks in the preliminary games, performance overall had improved as the competition progressed.

The last game in March was the Fourth round Challenge Cup tie at Dewsbury Rams. A victory offered the possibility of a lucrative Fifth round tie against a Super League club. The Rams opened the scoring but that was cancelled out by a try from winger Greg Hurst set up by hooker Paul Pickering and Damian Reid. Hesitant Eagles defence let in the Rams’ second try but following a break by Tommy Trayler, the impressive Pickering dived over from dummy half. Woodcock’s conversion and a penalty from the fullback gave the Eagles the lead only for the Rams to edge ahead again with a further converted try.

On 25 minutes the game exploded when Reid was sent off following his protests to a touch judge that a Dewsbury try was a double movement. It was later alleged that Reid was involved in spitting and abusive language, for which he received a two-match ban from the RFL Disciplinary Committee. It seemed the Eagles were going out of the Cup but amazingly they dominated the rest of the half. A try from Dale Holdstock was converted by Jonny Woodcock and a long distance penalty from the fullback, shortly before the break, put them 20-18 ahead at half-time.

The final 40 minutes belonged to the Eagles. They increased their lead when a high kick from Brendon Lindsay seemed to hang in the air before Woodcock burst in to collect and score the try. Holdstock and a Rams player were sent to the sin bin after clashing on the Eagles’ line but 11 men against 12 was enough as Woodcock weaved his way through the Rams’ line from Gavin Brown’s pass for his second try. Dewsbury hit back with two tries but a Woodcock penalty kept the Eagles four points ahead. In the final ten minutes the game was made safe with second tries from winger Hurst, who but for a fumble could have had a hat-trick, and second rower Holdstock. The 12 men had held out 46-28 and secured themselves an away visit in the next round to face Hull. Johnny Woodcock claimed 26 of the Eagles’ points with two tries and nine goals from ten kicks on a blustery afternoon, but the key to victory was an almost faultless display of a team working for each other.

Sheffield Eagles v Hull 13/05/2007

In the next round, the club were drawn against Hull. Expecting a big crowd the Eagles Board were looking at a sizeable pay out to assist the club.

The financial implications of a trip to the KC Stadium should allow us to consolidate our grassroots development work and move closer to the planned scholarship schemes region’s most promising youngsters
Ian Swire, Chair, April 2007

The trip to Hull FC took place in May. As the underdogs, in constant driving rain, the Eagles put up a battling display before going out of the Carnegie Challenge Cup. They paid little respect for reputations as they jolted the Super League team with gritty defending, coupled with some good attacking plays that deserved more than a single try. Hull had gradually built up an 18-0 lead when, with 6 minutes to go to the break, an Eagles double set of six ended with a precision pass from Brendan Lindsay to prop Tom Buckenham, who burst through a tackle to touchdown with Jonny Woodcock adding the goal.

It took Hull until 16 minutes after the restart before they wore down the Eagles defence and then the rest of their tries were scored. As the Sheffield defence were starting to look tired the Hull score mounted, but they dug deep into their reserves and tried to hold out until the final minutes when the home side’s final converted touchdown took the score to 44-6. The last time Sheffield played Hull in the Challenge Cup, Hull had scored a club record 88-0 win. There was never any chance of a repeat in their latest encounter.

Unfortunately, the crowd was not as large as was expected, with only 4,363 attending, a developing feature of the way the game was going at that time.

National League One

With the new season a new points structure was introduced to encourage much closer contests between sides. It was the same as the National Cup competition - the winners of a game were awarded 3 points. If the result was a draw both sides were awarded 2 points. If a team lost by 12 or less in a game, they would be awarded a single bonus point. 

On the eve of the club’s new adventure in the higher division, although they were the nailed-on favourites for relegation by the bookies, the Eagles were aiming to still be in Division One at the end of the season in September.

It inspires us. No promoted club has stayed up in recent years. So, we are everyone-s favourites for going down. But that is a great motivation for the players, they have got to stand up on the day make sure that doesn’t happen. We want to challenge ourselves at the next level. The club is going in the right direction, the players are going in the right direction and that’s the most important thing
Mark Aston, LE 22/1/7


Sheffield Eagles v Doncaster Lakers 06/04/2007

Sheffield’s first experience of playing in National League Division One was their April Good Friday home fixture against their old South Yorkshire rivals, Doncaster Lakers. The visitors were under the temporary charge of their previous season’s head coach, Gary Wilkinson, who had taken over following the suspension of the Lakers’ coach and assistant coach.

Poor cover on the line saw Doncaster take the lead on seven minutes with a converted try. The introduction of prop Mitchell Stringer pepped up the Eagles attacking drives. Sheffield hit back with a great opportunist try from Paul Pickering on 22 minutes. The hooker went sprinting in from dummy half from nearly 20 metres out to touch down. Fullback Jonny Woodcock, who in recent games had been deadly accurate, was wide with his goal attempt. The Eagles went ahead on 33 minutes when Dale Holdstock produced a killing break and pass out of the tackle to stand-off Brendon Lindsay who raced in for the try. Four minutes from the break Doncaster regained the lead 12-8 which it remained until half-time.

After the interval a long pass from Lindsay was grabbed by winger Greg Hurst on his toes before storming over for a try. Woodcock added the goal. The Eagles were justahead. But poor play by Sheffield led to them to having to defend three sets of six before the Lakers scored again. The Eagles play was becoming more desperate, and this turned to frustration with six penalties in the final third of the game. The Lakers looked home on 70 minutes when they got their fourth try. Stringer was sent to the sin bin for a high shot on 73 minutes and Doncaster secured a further two points from the penalty. But the home side almost snatched the game when, from a scrum, Lindsay and centre Richard Newlove sent in Hurst for his second try. Woodcock’s conversion narrowed the score to 22-20 but the Lakers held out and a final minute penalty was a formality. The Lakers took the points 24-20. The Eagles secured only a bonus point.

Easter Monday involved a trip to Batley Bulldogs. Batley took an early lead with a try but a penalty from Jonny Woodcock eased the pain. Batley sneaked in for their second try but a passing move between Craig Cook and centre Richard Newlove ended with Cook going over from dummy half. Woodcock added the goal. Batley managed to add to their score, with a converted touchdown, putting them 18-8 ahead before the Eagles produced a big play on the stroke of half-time. Hayes and Brendon Lindsay sent Craig Brown on the charge, and he somehow got the ball out to Newlove who crashed over. Woodcock added the goal to narrow the gap to 18-14 at the break. 

Two penalties from Woodcock put Sheffield level early in the second half and even a spell in the sin bin for the lively Dominic Brambani, reducing the visitors to 12 men, was weathered with determined defence. The Eagles needed a try but had to be content with two more penalties before another Batley touchdown snatched the win away. With the hooter gone but the ball still active the visitors tried frantically to get up a drop goal, but Lindsay's kick was wide. The two points for the draw plus the 'losing point' from Good Friday's narrow defeat by Doncaster gives the Eagles three points from a possible six over Easter.

We have got two points, which is more than we got on Friday. It was all hands-on deck at the end, but we showed a bit of character and stuck in there. It we had played a little bit smarter we might have got the right result
Mark Aston, April 2007

Full timers Widnes Vikings were the next visitors to Don Valley. This was the Eagles third game in seven days, and they found the visitors too strong and fast. Their approach to the game was not helped by a string of errors in the first half, which also saw Simon Morton stretchered off with a season ending injury. Further injuries to key players, Richard Newlove, Dale Holdstock, and captain Jack Howieson also saw them sidelined during the match.

Widnes took the lead after only 55 seconds and their second try soon followed. A further three tries during the half put the visitors in a commanding lead at the interval, 30-0. The Eagles had rarely mounted a potential try-scoring move with their build-up slow and predictable. That changed after the restart with forwards Mitchell Stringer, Craig Brown and Tommy Trayler taking on the Widnes pack and winning.

Plays were more directed and tighter but were met by a determined Widnes defence and the important consolation try just wouldn't come. Widnes showed how to take chances scoring a further two touchdowns. But with three minutes to go the Eagles hit back. Caldon Bravo produced a 60-metre break before the ball was switched across to the right in a sweeping passing move for substitute Grant Farrow to dive in at the corner. Some reward for a much better second half. With their 46-4 victory, Widnes went temporarily to the top spot, whilst Sheffield were languishing near the relegation zone in 8th position.

Sheffield suffered a further defeat with their trip to Leigh Centurions at the end of April. The Eagles defended well against early pressure and kept Leigh to a single try then they blasted into the lead with two great opportunist tries. Centre Richard Newlove made the first break of the first half before Greg Hurst took the ball on and as it seemed he would be hustled into touch the winger kicked on for Newlove to follow up and touchdown under the posts. Jonny Woodcock added the goal. Next James Ford intercepted a Leigh pass before racing the length of the field to claim his first try of the season.

A neat passing move between Brendon Lindsay and Mitch Stringer sent in hooker Craig Cook for the third try. After Woodcock has scuffed the goal attempts Dominic Brambani kicked a penalty and the Eagles were 16-4 ahead. But Leigh, despite having a player sin binned, broke back to level the scores just before the break with two crucial converted tries. 

Constant pressure and a mounting penalty count saw Leigh go ahead after the restart with two further converted touchdowns. The Eagles hit back through a Woodcock try created by a Brambani kick which had been collected by Ford, who drew two defenders before passing to the fullback. Brambani’s conversion seemed to have given the Eagles hope of at least a point even when the Centurions made the score 32-22. But within a couple of minutes the visitors were reduced to 11 players after having two sent to the sin bin in the final minutes. 

But for much of this game they must have thought they were playing 14 thanks to some unusual refereeing. The yellow cards first to Greg Hurst, for words to a line judge, and then new signing centre Brad Hepi, for raising an arm in a tackle on 78 minutes. From the following tap penalty Leigh scored yet another touchdown winning the tie 38-22 and denying the visitors a bonus point that their play had warranted. With a penalty count 15-7 in favour of the home team, Mark Aston was left fuming and seeking a long session with the match commissioner over the referee’s performance. Sheffield dropped further in the league table to occupy one of the relegation spots.


May saw no respite for Sheffield as they suffered further defeats in the league. They were outclassed during a visit at the start of the month to Halifax by a home side that moved the ball about the field faster. They battled hard but could not stop Halifax scoring five tries and were 30-0 behind by the break. There was an improvement in the second half as the Eagles get more into the game with chances for Caldon Bravo and Grant Edwards before the home side extended their lead. Then came an Eagles flourish with substitute John Crawford taking a restart kick at the second attempt before racing 40 metres down the line and past a couple of failed tacklers to claim a try. Brambani was body checked in front of the posts and hooker Craig Cook’s tap penalty was followed by a lightning-fast pass from Lindsay to winger James Ford who just squeezed over near the corner. Halifax claimed the final points with a touchdown on the hooter, 46-8.

Five days after the Eagles positive performance against Hull FC in the Challenge Cup, they faced fellow promotees Dewsbury Rams at Don Valley. The game saw the return of Danny Mills to the Sheffield side but still the home team slumped to their fifth league defeat of the season. It took Dewsbury only three minutes to score, when the Rams burst through weak cover to touchdown under the posts. The Eagles gradually started to look stronger in defence and go forward but too often they gave away possession before the end of a set of six. A period of pressure on the Dewsbury defence produced a break-back try with hooker Paul Pickering providing the pass for second row Corcoran to crash through a tackle and across the line. Jonny Woodcock added the goal. The desperate battle to gain control continued until a minute before half time when Dewsbury again touched down under the posts. The Rams lead 12-6 at the break.

Disaster struck for the Eagles eight minutes after the restart as Lindsay's kick to the corner was cleared and Dewsbury turned defence into attack as a massive gap opened on the Eagles' right, resulting in yet another converted try for the visitors Sheffield desperately needed a score, but the frustration produced errors and gifted the Rams two converted penalties. Brief hope of a fight back came with a try from Dominic Brambani created by a weaving run from Lindsay. Woodcock added the goal. But poor tackling allowed Dewsbury's fourth try and the game slipped towards the hooter. The Rams were victorious, 26-12, whilst Sheffield were bottom of the league after only six league games.

Following the Dewsbury defeat the eagles Board met with Mark Aston to discuss the performance situation. They continued to back him and made money available for him to make some loan signings to get the club through the injury crisis. 


As the season entered the month of June, the Eagles faced a visit to Widnes Vikings. Sheffield held their own for the first 20 minutes, looking the better of the two sides, and looked good value for money after taking the lead as early as the fifth minute through James Ford. But when Widnes equalised, they appeared to take their foot of the gas, letting the home side back into the game. By the interval, the Vikings were 18-4 ahead, following a further two converted tries. The Eagles had a go at the Vikings early in the second half, but Widnes’ class began to show, scoring a couple of touchdowns before Ford got one back for the Eagles but the result was never in doubt. Widnes piled on further tries to run out 56-10 victors.

The first seven games of the season had seen the Eagles firmly rooted to the bottom of Division One with only 3 points. They had scored 98 points but conceded 258 and looked to be going the same way as previous promotion hopefuls with relegation back to Division 2 facing them. But the next game, a home tie against ninth placed Rochdale Hornets was to bring a change in their fortunes. In a battle of the two bottom sides in the division there was always going to be an element of safety first and a determination not to make mistakes. That resulted in a pedestrian first 40 minutes with defences on top as both sets of half-backs struggled to find the space and the pass that would open a tryscoring opportunity. The Eagles gave a debut to James Morrow with skipper Howieson and veteran Brad Hepi back from injury for the game which was live on Sky Sports.

The Eagles with scrum-half Gavin Brown keeping the ball moving and kicking for position and second row forward Craig Brown running well on to passes looked the more likely to score. Both sides had early penalty chances to take the lead, but the kicks were put wide. The deadlock was finally broken four minutes from half-time when centre Damien Reid took a short pass from Gavin Brown and broke through two tackles before running 40 metres to touchdown and give the Eagles a 4-0 lead at the break.

Sheffield increased their lead soon after the restart with a penalty for a high tackle kicked by Dominic Brambani who had come on at scrumhalf with Gavin Brown switching to hooker. Concentrated attacks from the visitors nearly led to touchdowns. but the Sheffield scramble defence held out. Winger Greg Hurst looked to have made the breakthrough after he collected a chip from Brambani and touchdown but after a long delay the video referee ruled it out for a knock on. The game was settled by a burst of three tries in six minutes. Centre James Ford got the crucial first score on 68 minutes when he finished a sweeping passing move to go over near the corner. Fullback Jonny Woodcock produced a spectacular 70-metre run which left the Rochdale defensive line in a spin as he weaved his way past players before touching down under the posts. The Eagles were on a roll and a chip kick was scooped up to stand-off Brendon Lindsay to collect and go over under the posts to finish a frantic spell of scoring. Brambani added all three conversions and the first win, 24-0 and three points were secured.

The next visitors were league leaders Castleford Tigers who had already beaten the Eagles twice in the season by large margins. In difficult conditions, with constant heavy rain leaving surface water, the teams produced an exciting game of rugby. The Tigers opened the scoring on two minutes, but Sheffield took the game back with forwards Mitch Stringer and Jack Howieson putting in driving runs and hooker Paul Pickering battling hard. Sheffield took the lead with a quick play the ball and centre Damien Reid somehow twisting out of a couple of tackles before finding winger Greg Hurst who squeezed in near the corner. Fullback Jonny Woodcock added a touchline conversion. The Tigers laid siege to the Eagles line for a period, but Sheffield held on to a 6-4 lead at half-time.

Castleford gave Sheffield a battering early in the second half as they desperately tried to a get a try but were met by equally desperate but effective defending. With the defensive line stretched the Tigers managed a touchdown on 50 minutes. That slender lead disappeared when Woodcock put over a penalty following a high tackle. Castleford edged ahead again with a try on 62 minutes, but Woodcock kicked his second penalty to keep the home side in the game. The Eagles then drew level yet again in dramatic style when Danny Mills intercepted a pass and sent his centre James Ford racing 60 metres for a try. Woodcock was unable to add the conversion. But heartbreak came as Castleford won the game with a drop goal followed swiftly by two converted tries. There was some consolation for the Eagles with a drop goal in the final minutes from Lindsay, giving then a deserved bonus point by keeping the losing margin to 12 points. With this result, 15-27, Sheffield had finally moved off the bottom with 7 points.

Some clubs seem to think that we’re only making up the numbers in NL1 this year. Well, we’re planning on staying and the only way we’re considering leaving this division is in an upward direction. We have fought for too many years to get into this division to give up our place without an almighty fight.
Ian Swire, Chair


Off the field Doncaster entered a voluntary CVA as they had spent more than they took in during 2006 in an attempt to remain in Division 1. As a consequence, they were deducted six points and fell to the bottom of the league table.

In early July the Eagles made the short trip down the M18 to play financial crisis team Doncaster. Like all derby games it was a closely fought affair. Doncaster’s upfront approach led to a string of early penalties with Jonny Woodcock kicking one after two minutes to give the visitors the lead. Seven minutes later Doncaster had a player sent to the sin bin for high tackle. It seems Eagles’ Greg Hurst would make them pay almost immediately but he somehow dropped the ball as he went to touchdown. However, in the next attack, Centre James Ford made no mistake as he finished a great passing move involving Gavin Brown and Brendon Lindsay with Tommy Trayler providing the final pass. The scores were soon levelled when the Dons hit back with a score. Sheffield responded when Lindsay’s low kick through looked to be outpacing Woodcock, but it hit the padding on the upright and bounced back into the fullback’s hands and he put the Eagles back in front. Somehow Woodcock hit the upright with his kick. But the home side had the final say of the half when they scored yet again to lead 12-10 at the break.

Sheffield took the lead back a minute after the restart with Trayler and Ford making the opening for winger Danny Mills to get his first try since his return from Doncaster. The visitors where on the scoresheet again when a weaving run from Woodcock was finished by Trayler touching down. Dominic Brambani took over the kicking duties and added the goal. Then a looping pass from the Dons was intercepted by Damian Reid who raced 80 metres to touchdown, with Brambani adding the goal. Doncaster responded with another try. The crucial score came when Reid’s perfectly timed inside run finished a passing move by Dale Holdstock and Richard Newlove. Brambani added the goal to put the Eagles 16 points ahead. Doncaster managed to salvage a bonus point with five minutes to go. The final score, 32-20 resulted in the Eagles moving out of the relegation places to eighth position.

A trip to high flying Whitehaven was next on the agenda. Both sides struggled in a game with plenty of sloppy passing, lost ball and forced errors, but the home side managed to score eight tries to the Eagles three, even though the visitors had more of the possession. Whitehaven's first two tries came in the first l0 minutes, both unconverted, before Eagles got off the mark on 13 minutes. Damien Reid raced away from the Whitehaven 40 metre line to score under the sticks for Jonny Woodcock to convert, drawing the side to within two points of the home side. Two more Whitehaven tries followed in the 27th and 35th minutes before Eagles got on the score sheet again. With the seconds of the half ticking away, Adam Hayes went over from l0 metres in front of the posts, after fine handling by Reid, Brendon Lindsay, who interchanged smartly with Hayes, and substitute Ryan Hepworth. Woodcock took the interval score to 20-12.

On resumption Sheffield pressed with Hayes kicking dead and Woodcock surviving two high tackles that escaped the referee's attention. Whitehaven regained the initiative with a try six minutes into the half which was followed up with two further tries on 51 and 57 minutes the latter while the Eagles were minus hooker Paul Pickering, who was in the sinbin. Sheffield secured their last try on 63 minutes when Grant Edwards bashed through a group of players, but Woodcock hit a post with the kick. That chalked up Sheffield's lot at 18 points and on the 80th minute Whitehaven rounded off the scoring to win the tie, 4418.

Sheffield Eagles v Leigh Centurions 20/07/2007

Leigh Centurions were the next visitors to Don Valley. In atrocious weather, the Eagles coped far better with the conditions with scrum-half Dominic Brambani exploiting the tendency of the ball to hold up as it landed with a series of decisive chip kicks.

James Ford claimed his first try when Rob Worrincy intercepted a kick and raced 60 metres before passing to Adam Hayes who provided the inside pass for the centre to finish the job. A chip kick by Brambani was fumbled by Leigh and Ford was there to collect the bouncing ball and claim his second try. Leigh hit back with a try soon after. But there was no way of putting the brake on the Sheffield team. A low chip kick by hooker Paul Pickering provided Ford with his hat-trick try on 21 minutes and with fullback Jonny Woodcock converting the tries the Eagles were well in control. Next Brambani provided the kick for Woodcock to sneak in between Leigh defenders to touchdown before adding the two points. A drop goal by stand-off Gavin Brown extended the lead and three minutes from the break Woodcock added a penalty from 35 metres to give Sheffield a 27-4 lead at half-time. 

The Eagles never relaxed their grip although they had to withstand Leigh's best attacking spell of the game. It was not until 56 minutes before Damien Reid's interception opened the way for Worrincy to race 60 metres for his first try since re-joining the club. Leigh managed two consolation tries but this was the Eagles' night and sandwiched between those scores Gavin Brown provided the pass and Ford claimed his fourth try with Woodcock making it seven goals. The win, 3912 had enabled Sheffield to take a massive step towards First Division safety and was their best performance of the season.

It has been a long time coming a performance like that. Tonight, the lads were outstanding, their attitude was fantastic.
Mark Aston

The final fixture of the month was at home to Batley Bulldogs. Brambani opened the scoring after just over a minute when he swooped on a loose bouncing ball and then added the conversion. He tormented the Bulldogs with his kicking game, but Batley didn’t help their cause by indiscipline that led to a string of penalties. Brambani had kicked two penalties before winger Danny Mills added the Eagles’ second try forcing his way over from acting half-back. The scum-half added the conversion then a third penalty. Brendon Lindsay then came on as a substitute and scored a try from Brambani’s chip kick and Gavin Brown, who had switched to hooker, extended the Eagles lead with a touchdown from acting half-back after a break by Tommy Trayler. Brambani added the extras and at half-time the Eagles led 30-0.

Batley tightened up their game and showed more spirit in the second half helped by defensive lapses by the Eagles. Rob Worrincy scored a try a minute after the restart from a break by hooker Paul Pickering but then the fullback fumbled on the line and presented Batley’s with their first try. Mills got his second try following a move set up by a 40-20 kick by Brambani. Batley hit back again with a touch down, but Richard Newlove and Mills, with his hat-trick try, increased the Eagles’ lead before two late converted tries added some consolation for Batley. Four minutes from time Mills swooped on to a chip kick from Lindsay to take his try total to four and Brambani ended with ten goals from 13 attempts.

Batley were outplayed by a slicker and faster Eagles’ side with the forwards dominant enabling them to secure their biggest win of the season, 56-24. With five games to go until the end of the regular season, Sheffield had moved into seventh, with the possibility that, if results went their way reaching the play-offs might be achievable in their first season in Division One.

As a result of the improvement in the Eagles performances during the month. Jonny Woodcock was named in the Rugby League World’s team of the month.


August saw the Eagles again facing league leaders Castleford Tigers at “The Jungle”. Seeking their third win in a row, Sheffield got off to a perfect start with Dominic Brambani's seventh-minute penalty. Castleford responded with two converted tries, only for the Eagles to hit back on 27 minutes when centre James Ford grounded Gavin Brown's cute kick to the corner. The home side's third try came on 32 minutes but the final stages of the half belonged to Sheffield. Brambani landed his second penalty and added the extras when half-back Brown skipped through some soft defence, to have the Eagles going in at the interval 18-14.

But any hopes of an upset were wiped out as the home side crossed early twice in the second half to give the Tigers breathing space. Speedster Ford intercepted a wild pass to race in from 90 metres on 48 minutes, a try goaled by Brambani that cut the gap to 30-20, but it was as close as Eagles got. Castleford found a ruthless streak to cross four times in 13 minutes and Worrincy's last gasp try, after a midfield break from hooker Paul Pickering, was only a consolation. The Tigers had won 52-26, but they had been given a stern test by the visitors.

We gave ourselves a chance with a cracking try just before half-time, but Cas came out very quick and fast in the second half and we were a bit shellshocked. We ran out of steam at the end of the day, but we had a big penalty count against - again. There are lots of positives. We've come on a massive amount in the last month or so.
Mark Aston

The Eagles next opponents were Rochdale. They had also fallen into financial difficulties and had had to renegotiate their players’ contracts. Consequently, they had lost key members of their squad, including their coach. The subsequent visit to Rochdale Hornets had the Eagles on the back foot from the kick off. Trailing 18-0 after 20 minutes the omens were not promising, but once Sheffield found their stride, they proved far too strong for the Hornets. Once the Eagles settled into their fast-handling game they had the measure of their relegation-threatened hosts. By half time they were on level terms, Jack Howieson, Damien Reid, and Brendon Lindsay going over the line.

The visitors made a far better start to the second half with the first of three tries coming from Rob Worrincy five minutes after the break to put them into the lead for the first time. Tries from Jonny Woodcock, Mitchell Stringer and Worrincy looked to have made the result safe at 18-40 though the hosts pulled one back. Richard Newlove's effort restored Sheffield's 22-point advantage and although Rochdale managed to claw the score back to 36-46 it was Sheffield who finished the stronger, Woodcock and Worrincy rounding off the scoring. With the victory, 56-36 the Eagles had moved into the play-offs for the first time as they secured sixth spot in the league.

The next visit to Dewsbury Rams, however, saw Sheffield drop out of the top six, with the Rams replacing them. Three straight away games seemed to have taken their toll as the Eagles failed to put points on the board in the first half and allowed Dewsbury to dominate possession in the final 40 minutes.

The Eagles came close to taking a two-try lead in the opening 10 minutes when prop Jack Howieson, playing his 150th game for the club, was held up over the try line and winger Rob Worrincy just stopped short and then bundled into touch. Dewsbury came back with two penalties that gave the home side a 4-0 lead. With Gavin Brown switching to hooker and Brendon Lindsay wrestling back some control from the Rams half backs, the Eagles drew level in the closing minutes of the half. Lindsay broke from behind the scrum and cut his way through the Rams cover before passing to centre James Ford who raced 50 metres to the try line and survived a last-ditch tackle to touchdown.

Three minutes into the second-half the Eagles took the lead with Gavin Brown starting a move that saw Dominic Brambani's long pass 'touched on' by Damien Reid for Worrincy to squeeze in at the corner. Jonny Woodcock's touchline kick hit the inside of a post but dropped over. Ford almost increased the lead, but the centre touched the corner flag for the 'try' to be ruled out. After that the Eagles faded badly and faced a seemingly never-ending series of Dewsbury attacking sets, some gifted by poor decisions by players on the first tackle. Tries had to come, and they did as the Rams levelled the game at 10-10. With ten minutes left Dewsbury secured the winning try. Gavin Brown came back and gave some control to the Eagles' play but the try that could have saved a playoff place never seemed on. The visitors had lost 16-10, but the bonus point kept them within one point of a play-off place. The result also ensured that both clubs would remain in Division 1 for another season, the first two promoted teams to do so.

The players and the coaching staff have done a tremendous job. As a club we now intend to move on and consolidate our position next year as we prepare our other structures to strengthen the club for years to come.
Chris Noble MBE, Board Member

Two games remained, both home games against teams who had beaten the Eagles by big margins, Halifax, and Whitehaven. In their earlier tie Halifax had outplayed Sheffield and give them a lesson in First Division rugby. They met again on August 31st.

In the first half scrum-half Gavin Brown tested the Halifax backs with a series of kicks deep into their half and there were strong breaks from wingers Danny Mills and Rob Worrincy. Sheffield took the lead on eight minutes when hooker Craig Cook broke from acting half-back before passing to prop Mitch Stringer who took the ball on the burst and crashed over near the posts. Jonny Woodcock added the goal. Halifax got on level terms ten minutes from the break. 

The Eagles edged ahead midway through the second half when, following a Halifax player being sent to the sin bin for throwing a punch, Woodcock kicked a 40-metre penalty. Sheffield produced what looked to be the crucial score following a 30-metre break by centre James Ford who passed inside for Woodcock to race in for the touchdown. Woodcock added the goal and followed it with a penalty for off-side.

Then the game was turned on its head as Halifax blasted back in the final ten minutes, scoring three converted tries to take the game, 24-16. This denied the Eagles a win they had earned. But the one bonus point was sufficient for them to move back into the playoffs, due to results elsewhere.


Sheffield Eagles v Whitehaven 06/09/2007

Sheffield had to win their last game against third placed Whitehaven to ensure that they would hold onto sixth place. Live once more on Sky Sports the Eagles produced a great defensive show as Whitehaven put them under frantic and intense pressure, particularly in the second half. Then they gave their opponents a lesson in taking tries with some great breaks and passing moves.

Whitehaven took the lead on 12 minutes when the Eagles failed to make a kick dead and the visitors’ scrumhalf ran on to touchdown and added the goal. Sheffield drew level seven minutes later with hooker Craig Cook starting the move and Gavin Brown delaying his pass before second row Ged Corcoran burst through the Whitehaven cover to the line. Fullback Jonny Woodcock added the goal. The Eagles took the lead when substitute forward Tom Buckenham was obstructed before he had even touched the ball and Woodcock kicked the two points. Whitehaven stepped up the pressure and the Eagles defence was in for a hard time for the rest of the half, but they restricted the visitors to a penalty to level the score at 8-8 at half time.

The Eagles started the second half with a great break by Nick Turnbull who ran 30 metres before passing to Gavin Brown whose support run was rewarded with the touchdown. Woodcock added the goal. Twice the video ref was called into action as Whitehaven desperately tried to hit back but each time the Eagles defenders were ruled to have put players into touch. The crucial score for the Eagles came on 50 minutes when centre Damian Reid picked up a loose ball to break away and score the third try with Woodcock adding the goal. The fullback extended the lead with a penalty for a high tackle. Whitehaven came back with a try, but the Eagles wrapped up the points with a 79th minute try by winger Danny Mills from Dale Holdstock pass. Sheffield had won 26-14 and had grabbed themselves a playoff place against third place Halifax in the Knockout Stage of the Playoffs. Mark Aston’s ethic of putting hard work before star names had paid off yet again.

There was no way anyone was going to take it off us – we wanted to win the right to finish in the top six – massive praise to the players, they have been great. People were quick to write us off at the start of the season but that's proved an inspiration and we've proved the knockers wrong.
Mark Aston
Credit to Sheffield – what a great performance, in the last nine games of the season they have been brilliant.
Dave Rotheram, Whitehaven Coach

In their last eleven games the Eagles had won 6, collected 21 league points, scoring 316 points and conceding 269 in the process of doing so.

With securing a spot in the playoffs the Eagles had now really arrived in Division One and would be a force to be contended with over future years.

Play Offs

Sheffield Eagles v Halifax 16/09/2007

The sudden death Elimination Playoff game at Halifax took place on September 16th. The Eagles went behind to an early try from Halifax and were put on the back foot by giving away a series of penalties. They came back on eight minutes when centre Damien Reid stole the ball in the tackle in his own half. Second row Dale Holdstock took the ball on before the final pass sent centre James Ford on a 30-metre supercharged race to the line. Two minutes later Holdstock was carried off with a knee injury, to play no further part, and severely reduce the Eagles options for forward substitutions. Fullback Jonny Woodcock hit the post with a conversion and missed a penalty, but the Eagles were on top. 

Worrincy followed up a kick forcing Halifax to drop the ball and Dominic kicked on before touching down. Woodcock added the goal. Brambani provided the pass as with his first touch of the ball substitute Richard Newlove burst through for the Eagles' third try and with Woodcock's conversion, they were 16-6 ahead. But as in the game at Don Valley two weeks ago Halifax hit back with two quick tries - with conversions the home side went in at half-time 18-16 ahead.

Halifax's extended their lead soon after the break, but the Eagles drew level with a great passing move between Brambani, Adam Hayes and Brendon Lindsay setting up a second try for Ford converted by Woodcock. Another try, conversion and a penalty put Halifax back ahead on 30-22. I n the final minutes the Eagles laid siege to the Halifax line. Brambani and Reid sent in Worrincy for a try near the corner on the right. The gap was four points Going into the final seconds winger Rob Worrincy, the fastest man on the field, was off down the touchline with the try-line ahead. Worrincy had minutes before scored the try that had put the Eagles just four points behind. A try from this final play of this thrilling game would level the scores with the chance of a winning conversion. But somehow a Halifax player got across and stopped Worrincy. Sheffield were out of the National League One play offs.

When Rob Worrincy went up the touchline that would have been a fairytale - a dream come true, that we would just sneak the win. It wasn't but we certainly gave Halifax a big scare. The players have been massive.
Mark Aston

After a dour start to the 2007 League campaign which saw the club languishing at the bottom of the league looking to fulfil the tipsters view of how the Eagles season would pan out, the fifth round Challenge Cup defeat heralded a turn round in the club’s fortunes. The priority was to secure their place in Division One. This was achieved with two games to spare; the bonus was finishing off the season in the play offs. Due to this performance Mark Aston secured NL1 coach of the year award, whilst Danny Mills was named in the Division’s Dream Team.

Last season’s successes came at a cost that meant that we had no surplus funds available to assist us in our mission to retain our NL1 status. Mark, therefore, deserves an awful lot of credit for assembling the competitive team he has on the budget made available. He has taken a lot of stick this season when performances haven’t been particularly acceptable.
Ian Swire, Chair of the Board

Consequently, home crowds were up on the Eagles’ last season in Division 2. This was the product of playing against better supported teams as well, the Eagles success on the field as the season progressed an overall improvement throughout the league. A total of 14,695 people attended home games. Overall games were watched by an average of 2,033 a growth of 11.5%, whilst the Eagles average home crowd had increased by 30% to 1,155.

Senior Academy

The reformed Senior Academy was also a success. Coach Chris Robinson held player trials at the Hillsborough Arena on March 8th. 60 Triallists turned up. The aim of the team was to enable first team squad players to have the chance getting game-time whilst out of the first team. Up to 6 players could be above 21, so at least 11 would have to be players who had not played for the Eagles before, who would be helped to improve their skills and experience.

My commitment and the club’s commitment to the players is that we will aim to make them better players – be that stronger, fitter or be game aware. We’ll be working with everyone to improve their techniques and give them the best opportunity they can have.
Chris Robinson, March 2007

In addition to First team players John Crawford, Ryan Hepworth, Zac Hill, Jon Presley, and James Morrow who regularly appeared in the team, others, with potential Eagles stars of the future, played.

  • Joel Barrett
  • James Allan
  • Jason Eagle
  • Michael Rogers
  • Luke Holt
  • Mike Roby
  • Kyle Kesik
  • David Bower
  • Neil Wall
  • Tom Goss
  • Tom Gray
  • Ryan James
  • Richard Crouch
  • Martin Brannon
  • Gareth Davis

Playing Home games at the Hillsborough Arena, results were mixed as they were playing some well-established teams. But at the end of the season, they had managed to secure a mid-table finish.

Another fantastic achievement this season has been the Senior Academy ‘s mid-table finish. In our first year we have fulfilled all our objectives for the Academy – to give our non-playing first teamers the opportunity to play week in, week out to maintain their match fitness to give promising youngsters the opportunity to put themselves In the shop window for a place in the first team and to give local players the chance to play rugby league at a higher level, allowing them to improve their skills and raise standards of the game in South Yorkshire.
Chris Noble MBE, Director

Another area where the Eagles were making enormous strides was with their school development programme that went from strength to strength. A key Development was the launch of the Sheffield Eagles Scholarship Scheme for the 2007/08 Season. The first 21 Scholars included future players Cory Aston, Greg Burns and Corey Hanson. The Scholarship would provide a first-class Rugby Education, strength and conditioning programme and lifestyle advice aimed at the scholars maximising their potential. Providing good role models for the community was one of the outcomes, underpinning the overall ambition to have an Eagles team solely comprising players from Sheffield and its environs. 

It was better than everyone expected including ourselves. Our target was to stay up and establish ourselves as a first division team and getting into the playoffs was a bonus for us. We achieved beyond our goals.
Jack Howieson

The future continued to look bright for future success for the Sheffield Eagles both on and off the field.

Playing Squad

2007 Playing Squad


2007 Results


2007 Table


2007 Player Statistics

Further Information

For more detail about results and players visit the Rugby League Record Keepers Club website HERE.


Ian Swain